UNDER 18, UNDER 15 and UNDER 12
Tuesday-Thursday 3-5 October 2023
LIGHTNING CHAMPIONSHIPS: Thursday afternoon 5 October [see below]
Eligibility: Players must be members of the NSW Junior Chess League and under the age limit (under 18, under 15 or under 12) as on the first day of the tournament.
For membership details click HERE.
Venue: North Ryde Community Centre, 201 Coxs Road, North Ryde (between Lane Cove Road and Wicks Road). See MAP.
• By train: 1.3km (16 minutes' walk) from Macquarie Park Railway Station [use East exit from station, turn left at top of escalators and proceed south-west along Lane Cove Road, turn left into Coxs Road].
• By bus: For bus details see MAP.
• By car: park in Coxs Road or in carpark opposite (limited time parking) or in nearby streets.
Phone: 0403 962 442 (emergency only).
Canteen: available for lunch and light refreshments.
Time: Registration 9 a.m. on the first day of the tournament. Play starts at 9.30 a.m. and finishes approximately 3.30 p.m. (4.30 p.m. for the Under 18) Participants must leave or be collected from the venue by 5 p.m.
Number of Rounds: Under 18: 8 rounds; Under 15: 8 rounds; Under 12: 11 rounds.
(digital clocks will be used for all three divisions)
Under 18: 45 minutes plus 30 seconds per move (from move 1)
Under 15: 40 minutes plus 30 seconds per move (from move 1)
Under 12: 30 minutes plus 30 seconds per move (from move 1)
Recording: All players are required to record the moves during the game.
Trophies (including highest-scoring girls trophies) plus
prizes in the form of vouchers (to be spent on chess-related items):
Under 18: 1st $120; Under 15: 1st $90; Under 12: 1st $60.
Entry Fees: $60 (plus late fees if applicable – see below).
Entry Deadline: three days before the tournament.
Because late entries and late payments have been delaying the start of tournaments we have been forced to strictly enforce entry deadlines and late fees.
• Late Payment Fee ($10 per family) for entries received, but not paid, by the entry deadline
• Late Entry Fee ($20 per family) for entries neither received nor paid by the entry deadline
Late entries and late payments delay the start of tournaments – please enter (and pay) beforehand. If necessary, late entries will be processed after play starts and late entrants (and latecomers even if already entered) will miss the first round.Please note that although online entries reach us immediately, internet banking payments can take a few days (depending on the bank) and postal deliveries can take from two to five days with Australia Post's new (slower) delivery times introduced this year.
Entries: Entries may be made by either of the following methods:
(1) online via our website (see online entry), or
(2) by post with the entry form.
Payment may be either:
• by internet banking (or direct deposit at any branch of the Commonwealth Bank)
BSB: 062 028 (Commonwealth Bank, Town Hall branch)
Account Number: 00904158 (NSW Junior Chess League)
It is important that you include a transaction description with the payment to enable us to identify it – we suggest that this be the player's name (surname and given name or initials). Note that long descriptions will be truncated (how much depends on the bank – it can be to as little as 14 characters).
• by cheque posted with the entry form to NSW Junior Chess League, 2 Northcote Avenue, Killara NSW 2071
– make cheque payable to NSW Junior Chess League and write player's name on reverse.
Enquiries: Eunice Koh, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or Richard Gastineau-Hills, phone 9498 2760
City of Sydney Junior Lightning Championships
Thursday 5 October, starting at approximately 1 p.m.
The Lightning Championships will be held in two sections, Under 18, Under 15 and Under 12
Lightning Time Limit: 5 minutes per player for whole game
Lightning Entry Fee: $2 (enter and pay on the day)