(Deferred 2020 Championships)
UNDER 18 and UNDER 12
Wednesday-Thursday 13-14 January 2021
LIGHTNING CHAMPIONSHIPS: Thursday afternoon 14 January [see below]
Note: Don't be put off by the word "Championships" – you don't have to be a champion to enjoy playing!
• The number of players will be limited by the current COVID-19 restrictions.
Priority for the NSW Junior and NSW Girls Championships will be given to higher rated players
provided they have entered before the entry deadline.
(Note the difference – priority for the Summer One-Day and Two-Day Tournaments will be given to early entries).
• The number of non-players (parents, etc.) staying at the venue will also be limited.
Some may be asked to leave (or wait outside the hall).
• The entry deadline has been changed from two to three days before the tournament.
• COVID-19 precautions will be in place, including
– Frequent sanitising of hands and commonly touched surfaces;
– Appropriate distancing of players;
– Players should refrain from the usual polite custom of shaking hands before and after games. Suggested alternatives are to bow slightly or to wave a hand in a friendly manner (elbow-bumping is not recommended over a chessboard).
Eligibility: Players must be members of the NSW Junior Chess League and under the age limit (under 18 or under 12) as on 1 October 2020, the date on which the tournament was originally scheduled to start before it was deferred.This means that if you have turned 18 (or 12) since then you may still play in the Under 18 (or Under 12).
For membership details click HERE. Please note that membership renewals are due at the beginning of January (if you have already paid your membership fee for 2021, please don't pay again!).
Venue: North Ryde Community Centre, 201 Coxs Road, North Ryde (between Lane Cove Road and Wicks Road). See MAP.
• By train: 1.3km (16 minutes' walk) from Macquarie Park Railway Station [use East exit from station, turn left at top of escalators and proceed south-west along Lane Cove Road, turn left into Coxs Road].
• By bus: For bus details see MAP.
• By car: park in Coxs Road or in carpark opposite (limited time parking) or in nearby streets.
Phone: 0403 962 442 (emergency only).
Canteen: available for lunch and light refreshments.
Time: Registration 9 a.m. on the first day of each tournament. Play starts at 9.30 a.m. and finishes approximately 3.30 p.m. Participants must leave or be collected from the venue by 4 p.m.
Number of Rounds: Under 18: approximately 7 rounds; Under 12: approximately 9 rounds.
(digital clocks will be used for both
Under 18: 40 minutes plus 30 seconds per move (from move 1)
Under 12: 30 minutes plus 20 seconds per move (from move 1)
Players unfamiliar with chess clocks will be given guidance and practice before play starts.
Recording: Players are encouraged to record their moves, especially in the Under 18 division.
prizes in the form of vouchers (to be spent on chess-related items):
Under 18: 1st $120, 2nd $80, 3rd $50; Under 12: 1st $70, 2nd $50, 3rd $30
Entry Fees: $35 (plus late fees if applicable – see below).
Entry Deadline: three days before the tournament.
Because late entries and late payments have been delaying the start of tournaments we have been forced to strictly enforce entry deadlines and late fees.
• Late Payment Fee ($10 per family) for entries received, but not paid, by the entry deadline
• Late Entry Fee ($20 per family) for entries neither received nor paid by the entry deadline
Late entries and late payments delay the start of tournaments – please enter (and pay) beforehand. If necessary, late entries will be processed after play starts and late entrants (and latecomers even if already entered) will miss the first round. Please note that although online entries reach us immediately, internet banking payments can take a few days (depending on the bank) and postal deliveries can take from two to five days.
Entries: Entries may be made by one of the following methods:
(1) online via our website (see online entry), or [(1) is preferred]
(2) by post (see entry form), or
(3) by email (scan entry form and email to email@example.com).
Payment may be either:
• by internet banking (or direct deposit at any branch of the Commonwealth Bank)
– see under online entry for banking details, or
• by post with entry form to NSW Junior Chess League, 2 Northcote Avenue, Killara 2071
– make cheque payable to NSW Junior Chess League and write player's name on reverse.
Enquiries: Email Eunice Koh, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Richard Gastineau-Hills, phone 9498 2760, mobile 0403 962 442.
NSW Girls Lightning Championships
Thursday 14 Friday 2021, starting approximately 1 p.m.
The Lightning Championships will be held in two sections, Under 18 and Under 12
Lightning Time Limit: 5 minutes per player for whole game
Lightning Entry Fee: $2 (enter and pay on the day)