UNDER 18: Monday-Friday 16-20 July 2018
UNDER 12: Wednesday-Friday 18-20 July 2018
LIGHTNING CHAMPIONSHIPS: Friday afternoon 20 July 2018 [see below]
Eligibility: Players must be members of the NSW Junior Chess League and under the age limit (under 18 or under 12) as on the first day of the tournament. For membership details click HERE. Please note that membership renewals are due at the beginning of January (if you have already paid your membership fee for this year, please don't pay again!).
Format: The Under 18 will be in two divisions:
• NSW Junior Championship (title event) – a 10-player round robin with the highest rated entrants (plus the winner of last year's Reserves Tournament; and
• NSW Junior Reserves Tournament – for the remainder of the players (the winner will be entitled to play in the main championship event next year).
The Under 12 will be played in one division.
Venue: North Ryde Community Centre, 201 Coxs Road, North Ryde (between Lane Cove Road and Wicks Road). See MAP.
• By train: 1.3km (16 minutes' walk) from Macquarie Park Railway Station [use East exit from station, turn left at top of escalators and proceed south-west along Lane Cove Road, turn left into Coxs Road].
• By bus: For bus details see MAP.
• By car: park in Coxs Road or in carpark opposite (limited time parking) or in nearby streets.
Phone: 0403 962 442 (emergency only).
Canteen: available for lunch and light refreshments.
Time: Registration 9 a.m. on the first day of each tournament. Play starts at 9.15 a.m. and finishes approximately 4 to 5 p.m. Participants must leave or be collected from the venue by 5 p.m.
Number of Rounds:
• Under 18: 9 rounds (starting 9.15 a.m. and approximately 1.15 p.m.);
• Under 12: 10 rounds (4 on the first day, 4 on the second day and 2 on the third day).
• Under 18: (digital clocks) 60 minutes plus 40 seconds per move (from move 1);
• Under 12: (digital clocks) 30 minutes plus 30 seconds per move (from move 1).
Recording: All players are required to record the moves during the game.
prizes in the form of vouchers (to be spent on chess-related items):
• Under 18: 1st $240, 2nd $140, 3rd $80; Reserves 1st $80
• Under 12: 1st $100, 2nd $70, 3rd $50
The Under 18 and Under 12 winners will also be entitled to free coaching at the 2019 Australian Junior Championships.
• Under 18: $55
• Under 12: $45
(plus late fees if applicable – see below)
• NSW Junior Under 18 Championship (title event) – 6 p.m. Wednesday 11 July (no late entries)
• NSW Junior Under 18 Reserves – two days before the tournament (midnight Saturday night 14 July)
• NSW Junior Under 12 Championship – two days before the tournament (midnight Monday night 16 July)
Because late entries and late payments have been increasingly delaying the start of tournaments we have been forced to strictly enforce entry deadlines and late fees.
Late Fees –
for Under 18 Reserves and Under 12 only (no late entries for Under 18 title event):
• Late Payment Fee ($10 per family) for entries received, but not paid, by the entry deadline
• Late Entry Fee ($20 per family) for entries neither received nor paid by the entry deadline
Late entries and late payments delay the start of tournaments – please enter (and pay) beforehand. If necessary, late entries will be processed after play starts and late entrants (and latecomers even if already entered) will miss the first round.Please note that although online entries reach us immediately, internet banking payments can take a few days (depending on the bank) and postal deliveries can take from two to five days with Australia Post's new (slower) delivery times introduced last year.
Entries: Entries may be made by one of the following methods:
(1) online via our website (see online entry), or [(1) is preferred]
(2) by post (see entry form), or
(3) by email (Eunice Koh, email@example.com).
Payment may be either:
• by internet banking (or direct deposit at any branch of the Commonwealth Bank)
– see under online entry for banking details, or
• by post with entry form to NSW Junior Chess League, PO Box 262, Penshurst NSW 2222
– make cheque payable to NSW Junior Chess League and write player's name on reverse.
Enquiries: Eunice Koh, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or Richard Gastineau-Hills, phone 9498 2760.
NSW Junior Lightning Championships
Friday 20 July 2018, starting approximately 1 p.m.
The Lightning Championships will be held in two sections,
Under 18 and Under 12,
Lightning Time Limit: 5 minutes per player for whole game
Lightning Entry Fee: $2 (enter and pay on the day)